Tuesday, August 4, 2009
how quickly things change...
So James and I decided that we would go and tour the labor and delivery department of the hospital today- which all of my friends asked us why we would do something that silly... the answer is "BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHERE THEY KEEP THE BABIES"!!!!! I had no idea where labor and delivery was or the nursery. My "dear" friend was trying to tell me to just go check into the ER- ummmm NO! I do not plan on reinacting 9 months. Anyway- I loved the L & D. They let us preregister and then they gave us a tour. They took us back to one of the HUGE birthing rooms- hardwood floors and windows- so much nicer then it used to be! We walked into the delivery room and that's when it hit me...that this thing growing inside of me has to come out...not only does it have to come out but that it was going to hurt. I took one look at James and I think he saw me go white because he put his arm around me and smiled. The delivery beds break away so that at the end when you push you're laying there with your legs in the stirrups and your ass in the air. AND they have these two HUGE spotlights they shine down on your area. The nurse was saying that you could have up to 4 people in there with you when you deliver and the only thing i could think was "who in the world would want to see this if it wasn't their kid"??? So that's when I decided that I am SO going to have an epidural. The fear got me. I have to admit, I'm scared. I had this image of me having this fabulous natural birth and not finding out what it was until the dr said, there "it" is and literally my whole birth plan and concept were shot to hell in one glance at the bed. I do intend to labor as long as I can before getting the epidural. They said that I had until 8 cm to make the call. i know that you are supposed to make it to at least 4 or it will slow down your birth. My personal goal is 6. They also said that they would automatically lay the baby on you if you wanted and dh and i decided that we don't do well with goo and that we will let the nurse take the baby over to the warmer (which stays in the room) and clean it up. the thing that impressed me the most is that you can't "send" your baby to the nursery for the night. they have a 24 hour sleep in policy and unless you have had a c section or have been laboring for so long you're exhausted, the baby stays in your room with it's little home arrest braclet on its leg. I'm so excited and nervous. Tomorrow is the big ultrasound. I know it's a girl, but it will be nice for me to be able to tell everyone that i'm right! lol.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment