Monday, August 31, 2009

i may be a horrible person...

or right on my money. I think I've mentioned to you a few times that I've been having a lot of trouble with my dad recently. Since we found out we were pregnant, right after his surgery he has done nothing but called me obsessively and asked me to drop everything i'm doing to do small stupid stuff for him- like burn a cd for his girlfriend (who he won't let me meet), etc. About a month ago I told him that the obsessive phone calls needed to stop- i'll go to a movie and he'll call 6 times because i didn't answer my phone...or this past weekend I told him i was going to moms and would be out of town and because he likes to aggravate my mom he called me twice yesterday. I didn't answer. So he called me tonight when we were at dinner (my phone was at home) so I didn't answer. SO HE CAME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND BANGED ON MY DOOR TO DEMAND WHY I WASN'T ANSWERING HIS CALLS. And we wound up getting into it. He told me that he thought concerned parents talked to their kids more than once in a blue moon and i told him that i didn't know why now was any different then prior to me getting pregnant and that if he didn't call just to aggravate me it would be a different story. He said that when he had his surgery he had a glimpse of death and he realized that he wouldn't be here forever. I told him that he was only 55 and that if he started obsessing about death now (which most people in his family tend to do about that age) he would spend the rest of his life worried about dying and would forget to enjoy the time he had left and that if he was so worried about dying alone then he should have realized that before I was 28 and shouldn't have ignored me until he figured out that I may become something he could suck money off of. Anyway it didn't end well. I told him that I wanted our relationship to go back to the way it was- that he should go back to calling me about every 6 weeks and we could do breakfast. i just can't handle him anymore. i'm very tired. and i thought he would get the picture and stop calling- he asked me if i was surprised that he came over and I told him that i figured he would but that I thought he would call a few more times before resorting to that but that i knew he wouldn't leave me alone. he treats me like i'm an insurance client. i think he got the point. i almost made him cry but i don't think it's because he really wants me in his life so much as he's afraid that he's going to die and no one would have cared. for that i am sorry but it's not my fault that he has alienated everyone that has tried to get close to him that he's loud and rude and obnoxious and racist... i don't know what to do apparently there is no line with him- it's either a cats cradle situation or my life will turn into a very long episode of King of Queens. Am i being a bad person? i don't feel bad for standing up for myself. I feel sorry that he's alone but that's not my fault. i don't know what to do. i wouldn't mind amelia having him in her life but i don't want him living with us or calling me 4 or 5 times a week or thinking he can stop by whenever he wants. what do i do?

1 comment:

  1. yikes! i honestly don't know what my advice would be. it sounds to me like you handled it very well. you stayed level headed but made your point. he's got to realize you have a life and can't live it around him. i guess just keep on making that clear while telling him, you would like to spend time with him and you want amelia to spend time with him, but you need space as well. that way he knows someone cares for him, but he knows he can't just barge in all the time. which it sounds like that's what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete