Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Amelia's first week

I'm not going to say it has been easy...actually there have been a couple of times when I have messaged friends that have more than one child and asked them how they even functioned. That being said, James and I are both completely in love with Amelia. We were dismissed from the hospital Wednesday night at 5:30. We had to take her back to the dr Wednesday-Saturday for a bili check and a weigh in. She was born at 7.3, dismissed at 7lbs and got down to 6.9- primarily because my milk would just NOT come in. We had to give her some formula and then after some botched advice from the lactation consultant fed her with a syringe for the first night. My milk finally came in friday which is when the dr told us to nurse, then pump and offer the bottle. BIG mistake. Now I can't get Amelia to latch. I'm working on it though. As of now most of are feedings are pumped breast milk. James is such a terrific father. He feeds her and loves on her and has spent most of the week singing "there's my daughter in the water". I'm pretty sure he got my ppd though because I've seen him cry several times over the past week. I personally am feeling great (asides from a little sleep deprivation and random tingling) and am learning all the things that people should tell you about newborns that they didn't tell us. such as

1) unless your baby is a premie, you don't have to feed them with a medicine dropper
2) they will go back to breastmilk if you give them formula a couple of times. You don't have to beat yourself up over it.
3) always pump before you shower or your milk will let down and you'll have to bath again
4) when your milk comes in, it goes every where
5) you will spend the first week of your baby's life evaluating stool
6) if you have a little girl, her estrogen levels drop after she separates from you and will have discharge and spotting (btw-freaked us out).

I'm sure there will be more to add to the list as I progress.

2 comments:

  1. whoa! never knew #6!!! that'd freak me out too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making a mental note of these tips in case my Red Sox fan is a she.

    ReplyDelete