Monday, February 22, 2010

Big weekend

I took Amelia to my mother's house this past weekend. 2.5 hours away by myself- needless to say I was nervous but pleasantly surprised. After I got through the stop and go traffic and onto the interstate she stopped crying and slept the whole way there and the whole way back. We were able to visit my stepgrandparents and my grandmother (on my mom's side). We literally ran all over the holler. Amelia's sleep schedule was put off by the trip- with 2 2.5 hour naps during the day she was literally up about every two hours at night, if she made it two. My sisters though are terrific aunts. Caroline (11) was a champion diaper changer and Amelia loved playing with her. Poor Becca though is only 9 and she tried but she has less coordination and just jostled poor Amelia til she cried. It was great trip. I got more unsolicited advice in 4 days than I have in the past 8 weeks but that was to be expected. Amelia tends to look toward her right. My grandmother told me that if I didn't fix it, it'd always be like that- you know because there are tons of people in this world that never figure out how to turn their heads. They just walk around in circles. My mother is still horrified by the concept of breastfeeding. We were in the car on our way back to town and Amelia was screaming because she was starving. Of course, being surrounded by my entire family I was too embarrassed to excuse myself long enough to pump so I had to feed her in the car in front of my 9 year old sister. The lactation consultant was right...if a baby is hungry enough it'll latch. It was dark so it's not like Becca saw anything overly graphic but my was mortified over the fact that she had to explain to Becca that mommies can feed babies from their boobs. The funny thing is that my cousin was asking me about it and said that one of her friends did it. She asked her 2.5 year old what baby Chaney ate and Kinsley said "boobie"...so it's okay that my 2.5 year old cousin knows but my sister at 9 still doesn't know what boobs are for. I forgot how sheltered I was growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment